1. A customs carrier is defined as a Russian juridical person included in the Register of Customs Carriers.
2. The customs carrier effects haulage of merchandise under customs control in situations and on the terms set forth by Russian Customs Code.
3. A customs carrier has the right to limit the region of its operations by the operating region covered by one (several) customs office (customs offices).
4. The relations between a customs carrier and merchandise dispatchers or forwarders are built on a contractual basis. A customs carrier is not permitted to refuse to sign a haulage contract if it has requisite facilities for performing haulage of merchandise.
The terms of entry into the Register of Customs Carriers are, as follows:
1. A minimum of two years of cargo haulage experience;
2. Guarantee of dutiable payments;
3. Availability of certified license for cargo haulage if such activity is subject to licensing in accordance with Russian legislation;
4. Ownership (possession as private property, use as of leased or rented equipment) of means of transport suitable for the haulage of merchandise, as well as of means of transport applicable for the haulage of goods under customs seals and stamps;
5. Availability of the applicant’s civil liability insurance policy, which may occur as a result of damage caused to the merchandise trusted to the customs carrier pursuant to the haulage contract or due to breach by the customs carrier of its commitments pursuant to the haulage contract. The minimal insurance premium thereto should amount to 20 million roubles.
Certificate of Entry into the Register of Customs Carriers
1. The certificate on entry into the Register of Customs Carriers shall contain:
– the name of the customs carrier, the definition of its organisational and juridical entity and its location;
– information on the amounts and form of guarantee of dutiable payments to be made as per Russian Customs Code;
– designation of the customs carrier’s region of operations (in case the customs carrier’s operating region is limited by an operating region covered by one (several) customs office (customs offices).
2. The Certificate of Entry into the Register of Customs Carriers shall remain in force for a period of five years.
Obligations of the Customs Carrier
A customs carrier shall be obliged to:
1. Abide by the terms and requirements stipulated by Russian Customs Code with regard to the haulage of merchandise subject to customs control;
2. Keep record of the merchandise carried under customs control and submit reports on haulage of such merchandise to customs authorities;
3. Disburse customs duties and taxes in the situation stipulated by Russian Customs Code;
4. Ensure confidentiality of information obtained from the merchandise dispatcher, their recipient, or their forwarder.
Withdrawal of Certificate of Entry into the Register of Customs Carriers
The Certificate of Entry into the Register of Customs Carriers may be revoked by the customs authorities in the following situations:
1. Breach by the customs carrier of at least one of the terms of entry into the Register of Customs Carriers set forth by Russian Customs Code;
2. Breach by the customs carrier of its obligations stipulated by Russian Customs Code;
3. Multiple cases of application of administrative penalties to the customs carrier due to non-fulfilment by the latter of its responsibilities or its administrative offences in the sphere of the customs system stipulated Code of the Russian Federation on Administrative Offences.